3 Warning Signs of a Clogged Sewer Line
Like most Calgary homeowners, you probably have a general understanding that your household sewer lines move waste water from your home to underground sewer mains.
Beyond that, unless you’ve experienced a clog or sewer backup already, you most likely haven’t given much thought to your household sewer lines in Calgary.
It’s important, though, for homeowners to recognize sewer drainage issues when they occur. If your sewer gets clogged, raw sewage can back up into your home, resulting in costly damages to your property.
How Can You Tell If You Have a Sewer Backup or Clog in Your Main Sewer Line?
- Multiple drains are backed up. If you have noticed that all or most of your toilets, bathtubs and showers drain slowly or don’t drain at all, you likely have a problem with your main sewer line.
- Water backs up in strange places. For example, after running water from your bathroom sink, your toilet starts to bubble up. Or after using your washing machine, a shower drain or toilet overflows with water. Or if you flush the toilet and your tub or shower drain starts to gurgle or ‘percolate.’
- Drainage at the sewer cleanout. A sewer what? Many people are unfamiliar with their sewer cleanouts. In a nutshell, it offers outdoor access to the main sewer line. Look for a white or black pipe at the side of your house and remove the cap. If you see standing water or water that flows up and out of the pipe, it’s a clear sign that there’s a clog in your main sewer line.
Cleaning a Clogged Sewer Line or Sewer Backup
The first thing you need to do is turn off the main water supply. Shut off valves are usually found in the basement, crawl space or garage. They may also be located near the water heater in your home or in a water meter box outside by the street.
Next, call a plumber to have the drains cleaned and the clog professionally removed. They will:
- Run a drain auger (or plumber’s snake) through the sewer cleanout pipe to remove the clog.
- If that doesn’t do the trick, the plumber will insert a fiber optic camera into the cleanout pipe to find the clog.
Need a Sewer Line Cleaning Company in Calgary?
Don’t wait for your home to become a raw sewage biohazard. If you suspect that your main sewer line has a clog, you need to get help right away.
With 35 years’ experience in the plumbing business, The Drain Doctor is your go-to sewer cleaning service in Calgary. We’re available 24/7 for all plumbing emergencies, including a sewer backup. Contact us at 403-243-3490 to speak to a real person and one of our friendly, knowledgeable staff will be dispatched immediately.